Today you are going to read the complete How to Break the Bead on a Lawn Mower Tire Effectively – Top 5 Ways [Essential Information]. A lawnmower is a machine that provides you with an easier and convenient solution to solve your tough and tall grasses, weeds, and all kinds of problems in your front yard, backyard or courtyard.
The most common problems that happen if you have a lawnmower, especially when you always use it, is a flat or damaged tire. To fix the tire, you need to break the bead on it.
In this article, we will provide you with FIVE different ways on How to Break the Bead on a Lawn Mower Tire in simplified steps together with useful tips. Keep reading!
How to Break the Bead on a Lawn Mower Tire
Before you proceed to break the bead, you need to remove the tire from the lawnmower first and deflate it.
- To remove the tire from the lawnmower: Untwist the tire bolts’ using a socket wrench. Or, you can use a scissor jack to lift the mower’s body to do the maintenance easily.
- To deflate the tire: Remove the valve cap on the tire or, use a valve core removal tool to let the air go out completely.
TIPS: It is highly recommended to deflate the tire first to save more energy and time as an inflated tire will require double energy to break the bead.
Five Ways To Break The Bead On A Lawnmower Tire
Below, we have listed FIVE practical ways that you can use to break the bead on a lawnmower easily even if you have no experience before!
1. Apply your body weight
If you do not have any equipment, you can apply this method to break the bead.
- Firstly, you need to put your tire on a flat surface.
- Next, put your foot on the tire’s edge and press it to apply your body weight onto it so the rim will come off easily. Then, the bead will break immediately.
2. Using a wooden board/plane with the support of a vehicle
If the first method fails or you do not have much energy to do it, you can try to break the bead by using this method as it does not require much energy.
- Firstly, you need to put your tire on a flat and hard surface to afford the force applied to it.
- Place the wooden board/plane on the tire’s edge. MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT TOUCH THE RIM. This board/plane will act as a ramp.
- Then, drive off onto the board using your vehicle to pop out the tire’s rubber. Repeat the same steps for all sides.
TIPS: This method is very convenient for tires that stuck with rust or debris on the rim that require.
Read more here about the best inner tubes for lawn mower tires, Carts, Garden Trailer & More.
3. Using tools such as a screwdriver or crowbar
- Firstly, lay down the tire on the flat surface. Then, stand on the rubber part but make sure you did not stand on the rim.
- Next, drive the tools to the rubber part opposite your feet slowly to avoid damaging the rim.
- Use a hammer to help the tools driven into the rubber by creating a gap and try inserting the tools in between the rim’s surface and tire. At this step, the bead is already broken.
- Repeat the process along the tire’s circumference to separate it from the rim perfectly.
TIPS: Using a bench vice will help you do the work efficiently rather than using your hands.
4. Using a hydraulic jack
Most people would have this tool inside their car. The best thing is, it also can be used to break the bead on a lawnmower. You only need a jack, power drill and a board made from wood to make this method successful.
- Place the tire on the flat and hard surface.
- Put the tire and board over the jack to create a more wide surface to avoid the jack from damaging the rim.
- To open and break the bead, lift the tire by using a jack with a power drill. Then, as the tire is pushed up by the jack, use the hard surface (anything suitable) to press against the tire.
- Repeat the steps to completely break the bead and remove the rim.
TIPS: For hard surfaces; you can use strong metal, flat-tow hitch or simply use the mower’s back frame.
5. Using professional bead breaker tools
There are two types of bead breaker tools which are; handheld and floor mounted which need to attach to the ground.
- Put the tire on a flat and hard surface.
- Then, use rope or anything suitable to strap it through the rim to the tire. Tighten the straps by stretching the jack.
- Place the bead breaker tool on the tire and use it for all sides of the tire’s circumference. This tool will separate the rim and tire without risking the rim from damage.
- Lastly, to break the bead, just push the jack-up as it will push the rope that straps on the tire’s part to break the bead.
Important Things to Take Note for Safety
- Make sure the tire is deflated before breaking the bead using any method you like. This is to save your energy more and do the job efficiently.
Facts: Inflated tires contain high pressure which requires double energy to break the bead.
- Make sure you did not damage/bend the rim. If yes, you need to change the whole tire instead of the rubber part only.
- Make sure you place the tire on the flat and hard surface before starting doing anything to avoid the tire from sinking while you apply force onto it.
- Safety first while you handle all types of equipment; use gloves etc.
Read carefully all the steps in the simplified version given above together with useful tips for an excellent outcome.
Either with tools or without using any tools, all steps listed above for your references. If you have tried it all and it did not work well, please seek help from your friends or an expert.
Repairing or replacing the lawnmower tire would not be something to be scared of now. Remember to service your tire routinely and take care of it always.
Lastly, happy trying!